Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute?
Osher was established at the University of New Mexico in 2007. Unlike conventional university or college classes, there are no entrance requirements, tests or grades. You'll meet interesting people, form new friendships and socialize around shared intellectual interests.
Who Can Join?
Those who know that life is best enjoyed through learning become Osher members. Individuals aged 50 and better are invited to enroll. There is no age limit! Whether you are working, retired, or semi-retired, you can be a part of Osher at UNM. You do not need college experience, only a desire to learn and be a part of the Osher community.
Why is there a membership fee?
The membership fee is to help support the program and is a requirement of all lifelong learning programs supported by the Bernard Osher Foundation. Fees vary among university sites. Our annual membership is $20. The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute is a non-profit, member-based organization.
As an Osher member you receive:
- Members Only Events throughout the year including a free monthly lecture.
- Free book and materials check out at the four main campus libraries ($35 value)
- Connection to the academic and cultural resources of the University of New Mexico
- 10% discount on all Personal Enrichment courses and some courses in Business & Technology at Continuing Education.
- 10% discounts at many Popejoy and all Keller Hall events
- 10% discount for the Albuquerque International Association(AIA) Lectures. For more information, a full calendar of AIA events and to register, please visit www.abqinternational.org
- Discounts on membership at YMCA of Central New Mexico
- Discount on membership at Defined Fitness
- Email notices of cultural events at the Maxwell Museum, Institute of Medieval Studies, the Jonson Gallery, Zimmerman Library and other on-campus partners.
- Opportunity to meet new and interesting adult learners.
- Daytime, Evening and Week-end courses
- Social events throughout the year including movie nights and discussion groups
- Volunteer opportunities and free class rewards
- Member newsletter
- Free Parking
- Fully accessible location
What forms of payment do you accept?
We accept cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover and purchase orders. Tuition Remission may be utilized for tuition related to Osher classes, but CANNOT be applied to Osher membership fee.
What courses are offered?
Non-credit courses are offered three times a year during the Spring, Summer and Fall semesters. They range from one session to twelve weeks in length. Course topics include: Art & Art History, Culture, Current Events, Health & Well-Being, History, Literature & Writing, Music & Theater, Psychology/Science, Spirituality and Travel.
May I take a class if I am not an Osher member?
You must be an Osher member to attend a class. You may be the guest of an Osher member for one class session. We’re sure you’ll love our classes and will become a member!
Where is the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute located?
Most Osher classes are held at the Continuing Education building on 1634 University Blvd NE just north of Indian School on the east side of the street. There is plenty of free parking. Visit our Maps and Parking page for more information. Osher Classes are also held at Del Webb Alegria Active Adult Community in Bernalillo and the Jubilee Community in Los Lunas.
- Maralie W. BeLonge - Program Supervisor:
- (505) 277-6179
- Become a Fan of Osher Lifelong Learning at UNM on Facebook